Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Play With Your Toys


I'm the first to admit that I often suffer from gear lust - I have a a mile-long list of all the lenses, lights, camera bodies, studio gear, and miscellaneous gadgetry that I know will make my photography infinitely better.

And I'm the first to admit that it's a ridiculous theory.

People are quite capable of using the finest, most expensive camera equipment on the planet and producing nothing but garbage. And people can take a cardboard box with a hole punched in it and make amazing images.

So it's nice to take a cheap plastic camera, throw some film in there, and see what happens. No exposure meters, no LCD monitors. That excitement when you pick up your film from the lab and see what you ended up getting. It's definitely a change of pace.

I received a Diana camera as a gift, along with 10 rolls of film. I just developed the first roll; the above image was shot on Fuji Velvia 100. It was taken in San Pedro, overlooking the harbor. The unpredictable aspects - the lens flare, the vignetting - is what makes this kind of photography so much fun.

No comments: