Friday, April 4, 2008

The Moment It Clicks

I've seen this book recommended in various places, so I finally picked up a copy. It's definitely interesting; there are a lot of great images and, for most of them, McNally gives a brief rundown of how it was lit and shot.

But that's just what makes this book a little intimidating. Some techniques are good ideas that anyone can do. And others take a small army and a truck load of grip and lighting equipment to accomplish.

The most fascinating pages are the two shots that show all of the camera gear and lighting equipment that McNally uses. It's quite impressive. I don't even know what a lot of that stuff is, let alone what to do with it. Right now I'm just trying to conquer off-camera flash.

This is a fun book, great to flip through and fascinating to read. I'll have plenty of ideas to add to my to-try list.

No comments: