Saturday, April 5, 2008

Canon's New Beast

I'm a Nikon person. Why? Because when I took my very first photography class, my professor used Nikon. She recommended that we use Nikon. So, I went out and bought a Nikon FM10 and a few lenses to go with it. When I bought my first digital SLR I contemplated buying a Canon, but Nikon had their hooks in me and I didn't feel like making the switch.

And after that I didn't give Canon equipment much thought, until I chanced upon a review of their newest camera, the EOS-1Ds Mark III (man, that's a long name). What caught my eye wasn't any cool features or interesting specs, but the price tag - $8,000. That's a good $3,000 more expensive than Nikon's top-of-the-line camera, the D3.

Not that it matters, since I can't afford either camera anyway. But it's nice to think that Nikon's best is more affordable than Canon's best. And when I really start raking in the big bucks, I'll lay out for a Hasselbad H3DII-39: a nifty $33,995. Just to show I've earned it.

No comments: