Monday, May 19, 2008

Self-Published Photography Books

I've been hunting around the internet looking for companies that produce albums for photographers. So far I've looked at materials from AsukaBook, Zookbinders, and Renaissance. All look promising. I'm mostly interested in albums that are like books, rather than more traditional matted or mounted styles, where actual prints are in the album.

Which is why I was especially interested to read "Turn Those Bytes into Books" in the New York Times. The article focuses on Blurb.com, but lists several other related websites, such as companies that sell templates and illustrations, or those that offer design services.

Price-wise, Blurb.com is very affordable. They also offer an on-line bookstore where you can sell your creations at whatever price you wish. All very intriguing.

Of course, my first thought with all of this is self-publishing my Project Blended book - once I have enough portraits to fill a book. But I also want to have album options for clients. I'm sure that for weddings, people will spring more for AsukaBook or Zookbinders. For more casual occasions, however, such as birthday parties or family portraits in the park, a Blurb book may better suit the occasion.

No comments: