Friday, May 16, 2008

Illustrator and the Mighty Pen (Tool)

When I bought Adobe's Design Premium Suite, I was mostly interested in Photoshop. Of course the products are packaged so that it's cheaper to buy a whole slew of software rather than just two or three program. So I'm finally getting around to learning the other programs.

I want to learn Illustrator so that I can design promotional materials. I managed to design my business card by just playing around with the program and looking stuff up on Google. And this simple design - a symbol and some text - took forever.

So I finally bought a book on Illustrator, and after just a few pages I've had this huge "a-ha" moment: Bézier Curves. I had no idea how the pen tool worked. When I played around with it I just got these random curvy lines that seemed to go all over the place.

But now . . . now I think that with practice, I can become more creative with my designs. My immediate goal with Illustrator and Dreamweaver is to design a website for my mixed race photography project. If I can pull that off, then eventually I would like to move away from the template that I have now for my main photography website.

I purchased my site from BluDomain. And while you can find plenty of people on the internet who curse BluDomain up and down, my experience with them has been good. It just irks me that so many other people out there have the same website that I do. So I really would like to have something unique and that is a better expression of my personality and style.

First I gotta hit those books!

No comments: