Sunday, May 25, 2008

Little Flowers


I've spent the better part of the weekend playing around with Adobe Illustrator, and this is what I was able to come up with. A flower and some text. And it took uh-looong time.

I've been using The Adobe Illustrator CS3 Wow! Book, and just making it through the first couple chapters has made me look at illustration in a whole new way. Rather than seeing things in terms of complicated lines and patterns, I am learning to see things as a combination of shapes. (Don't laugh at me, all you art majors!)

For example, the flower in my Project Blended logo is made of only two shapes that are copied and combined to form a flower. After some gradient fill and different layering styles - voilĂ ! A nice, geometric flower.

I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with the flower, but for now it's good enough to go on the promotional postcard I want to make for this project.

I've also started reading my 1000 page Dreamweaver book so that I can at least get a basic web page up. I see things like XHTML, CSS, JavaScript, FTP, PHP, ASP, XML, ActionScript, Spry . . . and I feel my stomach turning. Maybe I'm too old to learn how to design websites.

But I trust in the good people who published this book and I'm determined to plow through it. And after Dreamweaver, it's on to Flash!

2 comments:

Dee said...

Sonia, I am in a constant state of learning Illustrator. Even most experts are, in fact, and will admit to that being the case. You should sign up for the daily tips from Layers Magazine, and if you can afford to, the training from Kelsey (I think is the name) or Total Training. They're both very good resources.

I wish you lots of fun on your continued Illustrator journey!

Sonia Ortega said...

Dee - Thanks for the encouragement and the tips! I have heard about Layers Magazine and will definitely check it out.