Monday, June 9, 2008

The Murky World of Web Design

When I first came up with the idea of a mixed race portrait project, I had no idea that in a couple month's time I would be puzzling my way through CSS, XHTML, XML, and Flash. I thought that I would go around taking pictures, dump them on my current website, and maybe design a postcard using Illustrator or Photoshop.

But the idea of a website just for this project seems like such a good idea. I could have the portraits. Then I could add essays. A section of resources. A blog that deals exclusively with mixed-race issues.

And a movie section - which I admit seems kind of random. But the idea of writing critical essays about the ways in which mixed racialness is portrayed in cinema has been bouncing around my head since I was film school student at UCLA.

So I'll put up with the headaches in order to get the site just how I want it. And I'll pray that the Flash fairy visits me and helps me build a slideshow based on an XML file that allows for visitor interactivity so that they can click on a photo and be whisked away to the relevant photo gallery.

Ugh. I get sick just writing that.

No comments: